Protecting Your Money

Tenancy Deposit Protection

Under the Housing Act 2004 anyone (managing agent or landlord) accepting/holding a tenancy deposit in respect of an “Assured Shorthold Tenancy” in England and Wales must belong to an “authorised” scheme which protects deposit monies. An “authorised “scheme is one which has Government approval. The scheme must also provide a dispute resolution service to be invoked should a dispute arise about allocation of the deposit at the end of the tenancy period.

Martin Pendered & Co is a Member of the Tenancy Deposit Scheme.

Client Money Protection

In England it is now a legal requirement from 1st April 2019 that all letting agents and property management companies need to be a member of an approved Client Money Protection Scheme. In Scotland, the legal requirement was enforced from 31st January 2018 and in Wales from 23rd November 2015. Martin Pendered & Co Ltd are a member of Money Shield which is a government approved Client Money Protection Membership Scheme that protects any money held by our members on behalf of their clients should the member misappropriate it. Membership No: 63638929 – Click Here to see our Certificate

Should a Money Shield Member go into administration or misuse your rent, deposit or other funds, Money Shield will reimburse you whether you are a landlord or a tenant.

Money Shield Client Money Protection Scheme

6 Tournament Court, Edgehill Drive, Warwick CV34 6LG


Simply go to and complete the CMP application form.  We need to receive your application within 12 months of us being notified that a misappropriation has occurred.  You do not need to prove fraud. You only need to provide supporting evidence that you have not received the money you were legally entitled to, this may be in the form of your tenancy agreement or deposit protection certificate along with bank statements.

Your money is protected throughout the time that your agency is a member of the Money Shield Client Money Protection Scheme.

If your agent leaves the scheme, they are required by law to notify you. All agents managing properties in England, Scotland or Wales are legally required to belong to a Government approved Client Money Protection scheme at all times and details of the scheme must be publicly available. If you discover at a later date that money has gone missing during the period of their membership of the scheme, you will still be covered even if they have subsequently left the scheme.

Unfortunately, we cannot make payments for any loss arising from war (whether foreign or civil), terrorism, rebellion, revolution, military uprising or any form of confiscation by the state.